Hemingway Foundation Condenses Novels Into Instagram Videos

The Ernest Hemingway Foundation has released a series of 15-second Instagram videos based on the writer’s works.

Hemingway Foundation Condenses Novels Into Instagram Videos

Ernest Hemingway likely isn’t at the front of most Instagram users’ minds, unless they’ve been assigned one of his books in English class. In an effort to drum up interest in Hemingway’s novels among the social network’s youthful user base, the Ernest Hemingway Foundation has condensed several of his books into 15-second videos.

Now this is some clever stuff. Whether or not this all leads to millenials embracing Hemingway is anyone’s guess, but these brief videos are highly entertaining. The animation looks great, and the stripped-down stories are quite funny.

My favorite is “A Farewell to Arms,” in which the tragic romance between Frederic and Catherine is boiled down to three brief exchanges of dialogue. (Catherine’s deadpan “I’m going into labor and dying” had me in stitches.)

For Whom the Bell Tolls” likely does the best job of creating interest in the source material, selling Hemingway’s Spanish Civil War tale as an intriguing adventure story. “The Old Man and the Sea” is the least-successful of the three adaptations. It still elicits a chuckle, but I’m not sure who would ever want to read the book after watching the Instagram video.

This campaign is an exceptionally clever move on the part of the Hemingway Foundation. I can’t think of a much better way to make books from nearly a century ago relevant in 2014. As for me personally, I don’t think these videos will drive me back to the bookshelf to catch up on my Hemingway. However, I did just read his entire Wikipedia page, so that’s got to count for something.

Howard Davidson Arlington MA

Standard

16 thoughts on “Hemingway Foundation Condenses Novels Into Instagram Videos

1. Dale says:

This is indeed a clever concept. I really appreciate the vision behind and this move and really wish the team good luck…This will be so good for the literature..Thank you Howard Davidson Arlington MA, really appreciate it!

2. Kurt says:

Oh this is beautiful. Don’t see any other way of how it could have been done better…Hats off to the Hemingway Foundation creative team behind it…Good job to them and thank you to you Howard Davidson Arlington Massachusetts for keeping me in the know and making me a bit smarter.

3. Shiv says:

Well that is creative. I wasn’t aware about any such thing so thank you Howard Davidson Arlington Massachusetts for sharing this information. I will be checking these novels rather I should say Instagram videos real soon….Good Work….

4. Rachel says:

That is very clever on part of Hemingway. By doing this not only will they be able to save these classics but will also be able to earn new supporters and audience. Thank you Howard Davidson Arlington MA for sharing this with us.

5. Ian says:

Good work Hemingway. In a world where everyone is talking about problems it is nice to see someone coming up with a workable solution. Thank you Howard Davidson Arlington MA for sharing this information, wasn’t aware of this.

6. Ed says:

Good to see such an innovative concept getting such a warm applause. This is very noble from Hemingway. Great idea executed with great charm. Thank you Howard Davidson Arlington Massachusetts for sharing this information.

7. Patrick says:

Thanks Howard Davidson Arlington Massachusetts for sharing this information, I wasn’t aware of it. I am sure Instagram will be able to rejuvenate this classic in a new way altogether. Good thinking Hemingway, a job that is certainly well done.

8. Danny says:

Thank you Howard Davidson Arlington MA!

Good initiative by Hemingway Foundation. This is a good way to restore the classic and also to connect it with much larger audiences. Let’s hope this brings them good success.

9. Riki says:

Kudos to Hemingway. They should be proud of what they did. This is a great way using technology to proper use. I hope others will soon follow this trend. Good work team and thank you Howard Davidson Arlington MA for sharing this piece.

10. Andrew says:

This is impressive from Hemingway foundation. They have really used technology quite wisely here. Hats off to their creativity. Thank you Howard Davidson Arlington Massachusetts for sharing this post with us.

11. George says:

Smart work hemingway, you just have done a right thing here. Technology used to perfection I would say…So good work…And good work Howard Davidson Arlington MA also for sharing this with us…

12. Rafel says:

Nice initiative this by Hemingway. I really want them to succeed here, so that it can set a right example for others to follow. Good thinking by the team who were behind this. Thanks Howard Davidson Arlington MA for sharing

13. William says:

Technology can work wonders only if you know how to use it and that is exactly what hemingway foundation has done. They have opened an entirely new option for others to follow..I hope, we will see more of these efforts in future as well. Good job Howard Davidson Arlington Massachusetts…

14. Kevin says:

I agree with all the people who have praised the efforts of Hemingway on this post..This indeed is a special initiative taken by them and it seems that their hard work has paid off.

15. Henry says:

This is excellent stuff by Hemingway…love their idea and the way they have gone about it…Well done and superbly written Howard Davidson Arlington Massachusetts…

16. Darren says:

Innovative concept, interestingly put forward…Liked it a lot! Thanks Howard Davidson Arlington MA for bringing this across…